Usman is developing a broad commercial practice, with a particular focus on company and insolvency law, banking and financial services, and civil fraud and asset tracing.
He is currently:
- Instructed on a civil fraud claim worth US$60m+ (led by Tim Akkouh of Essex Court Chambers);
- Instructed by Signature Litigation to investigate the prospects of a substantial civil fraud claim worth US$100m+ (currently sole counsel);
- Instructed to assist with a six-figure transnational commercial dispute in arbitration (led by David Lewis QC);
- Instructed on a six-figure commercial fraud case (led by Paul Strelitz); and
- Instructed to advise on a substantial claim for various intentional economic torts relating to a Mayfair hotel (sole counsel).
Usman has appeared in the High Court on multiple occasions in his own right and has experience of conducting trials (including trials involving allegations of fraud) in the County Court.
Prior to pupillage, Usman taught property and trusts law as a Visiting Lecturer and Examiner at King’s College London and spent a year working in the Professional Indemnity Department at Linklaters. His experience includes working with and assisting a broad range of solicitors and clients from across the UK and several offshore jurisdictions.
Banking & Finance
Civil Fraud & Asset Tracing
Companies, Joint Ventures & Partnerships
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Financial Professionals, Insolvency Professionals, Directors & Officers
Real Property & Mortgages
- BA Law, First Class (Trinity College, Cambridge); 2013
- BCL (Brasenose College, Oxford); 2015
- BPTC, Outstanding (City Law School, London); 2016
Scholarships and Awards
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Eastham Scholarship and Hardwicke Award, Lincoln’s Inn; 2013-2017
- The Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Prize (top BPTC performance in Civil Litigation and Commercial Law); 2016
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn; 2016
- City University Academic Scholarship; 2015
- Trinity College Tripos Prize (achieving the highest college first in law), Trinity College, Cambridge; 2013
- Senior Scholarship, Trinity College, Cambridge; 2013
- Lizette Bentwich Prizes, Trinity College, Cambridge; 2012-2013
Usman is an active member of the Bar Pro Bono Unit.
He is also involved in a number of mentoring initiatives aimed at assisting applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds hoping to study at the University of Cambridge.