Usman has a broad commercial and modern chancery practice with a particular focus on company and insolvency law, banking and financial services, and civil fraud and asset tracing.
He is currently instructed:
- On a civil fraud claim worth US$60m+ (led by Tim Akkouh of Essex Court Chambers);
- As junior counsel to investigate the prospects of a substantial multi-jurisdictional fraud claim worth US$50m+ (instructed by Signature Litigation);
- As junior counsel in a six-figure ICC arbitration (led by David Lewis QC);
- As junior counsel on a six-figure commercial fraud case (led by Paul Strelitz);
- To advise on a substantial claim for various intentional economic torts relating to a 4 Star Mayfair hotel (sole counsel); and
- To defend an unfair prejudice petition in the High Court (sole counsel).
Usman has appeared in the High Court and before arbitral tribunals on multiple occasions in his own right. He also has experience of conducting trials (including trials involving allegations of fraud) in the County Court.
Prior to pupillage, Usman taught property and trusts law as a Visiting Lecturer and Examiner at King’s College London and spent a year working in the Professional Indemnity Department at Linklaters.
Banking & Finance
Civil Fraud & Asset Tracing
Companies, Joint Ventures & Partnerships
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Financial Professionals, Insolvency Professionals, Directors & Officers
Real Property & Mortgages
- BA Law, First Class (Trinity College, Cambridge); 2013
- BCL (Brasenose College, Oxford); 2015
- BPTC, Outstanding (City Law School, London); 2016
Scholarships and Awards
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Eastham Scholarship and Hardwicke Award, Lincoln’s Inn; 2013-2017
- The Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Prize (top BPTC performance in Civil Litigation and Commercial Law); 2016
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn; 2016
- City University Academic Scholarship; 2015
- Trinity College Tripos Prize (achieving the highest college first in law), Trinity College, Cambridge; 2013
- Senior Scholarship, Trinity College, Cambridge; 2013
- Lizette Bentwich Prizes, Trinity College, Cambridge; 2012-2013
Usman is an active member of the Bar Pro Bono Unit.
He is also involved in a number of mentoring initiatives aimed at assisting applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds hoping to study at the University of Cambridge.