Usman has a broad commercial and modern chancery practice with a particular focus on company and insolvency law, banking and financial services, civil fraud and asset tracing.
His current and recent instructions include:
- Acting as junior counsel in a civil fraud claim worth US$60m+ (led by Tim Akkouh of Essex Court Chambers);
- Assisting in the investigation of a substantial multi-jurisdictional fraud claim (instructed by Signature Litigation);
- Appearing in the Court of Appeal in Sara & Hossein Asset Holdings Ltd v Blacks Outdoor Retail Ltd (led by Morayo Fagborun Bennett; instructed by Gateley Plc);
- Defending an unfair prejudice petition in the High Court (sole counsel);
- Advising a foreign bank on the scope of its Quincecare duties under English law (junior counsel in a multi-counsel team);
- Acting as junior counsel in an ICC arbitration (led by David Lewis QC); and
- Acting as junior counsel in a commercial fraud claim (led by Paul Strelitz).
Usman has appeared in the High Court and before arbitral tribunals on multiple occasions in his own right and has been led in the Court of Appeal.
Prior to pupillage, Usman taught property and trusts law as a Visiting Lecturer and Examiner at King’s College London and spent a year working in the Professional Indemnity Department at Linklaters.
Banking & Finance
Civil Fraud & Asset Tracing
Companies, Joint Ventures & Partnerships
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Financial Professionals, Insolvency Professionals, Directors & Officers
Real Property & Mortgages
- BA Law, First Class (Trinity College, Cambridge); 2013
- BCL (Brasenose College, Oxford); 2015
- BPTC, Outstanding (City Law School, London); 2016
Scholarships and Awards
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Eastham Scholarship and Hardwicke Award, Lincoln’s Inn; 2013-2017
- The Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Prize (top BPTC performance in Civil Litigation and Commercial Law); 2016
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn; 2016
- City University Academic Scholarship; 2015
- Trinity College Tripos Prize (achieving the highest college first in law), Trinity College, Cambridge; 2013
- Senior Scholarship, Trinity College, Cambridge; 2013
- Lizette Bentwich Prizes, Trinity College, Cambridge; 2012-2013
Usman is an active member of Advocate (formerly the Bar Pro Bono Unit).
He also participates in two mentoring initiatives aimed at assisting disadvantaged applicants hoping to study at the University of Cambridge.