A good, pragmatic and commercial QC. He's an expert in his field who's responsive and very personable.
A strong advocate who delivers
Great knowledge in relation to complex cross-border, multi-party-funded litigation
Excellent on his feet: he owns the room, takes control and provides comfort and confidence to the client.
An excellent advocate who can come up with novel arguments
PJ has enjoyed a long and successful career at the Bar having previously been a partner in a Holborn firm of solicitors. He took silk in 2013 – the only costs specialist to do so that year. PJ is Joint Head of Chambers at Hardwicke.
PJ’s practice covers costs litigation, commercial dispute resolution and professional negligence. Recommended by the legal directories for his “great knowledge in relation to complex,cross-border, multi-party-funded litigation“, he is instructed by a wide range of solicitors from City firms to High Street practitioners. As well as cases in England & Wales PJ has appeared in the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal in relation to the legality of CFAs and in the DIFC in Dubai and much of his work has an international dimension.
PJ is recognised as an expert in the field of costs and is often instructed on appeals in relation to problems over retainers, CFAs etc. He is also often instructed to draft bespoke DBAs, CFAs or CCFAs for firms of solicitors.
PJ sits as a Deputy District Judge and is a Bar Council appointed High Court costs assessor. PJ is also an ADR group accredited mediator and is on the Costs ADR (CADR) panel of mediators.
Banking & Finance
Civil Fraud & Asset Tracing
Employment & Executive Disputes
Financial Professionals, Insolvency Professionals, Directors & Officers
Insurance Funded Disputes
Professional Indemnity Insurance
PJ is recommended for Costs Litigation in both Chambers UK and Legal 500. He is also recommended for Commercial Dispute Resolution in Chambers UK and Chambers Global:
- “Thorough, great with clients and a real team player.” (Chambers UK)
- “A pleasure to work with and highly knowledgeable.” “He offers something extra as he brings in experience of the commercial litigation arena.” (Chambers UK)
- “As an advocate, he is clear in his arguments and very well prepared,” and “always takes a pragmatic and commercial approach to his cases.” (Chambers UK)
- “A good, pragmatic and commercial QC.He’s an expert in his field who’s responsive and very personable.” (Chambers UK)
- “A calming influence, who is very confident and presents extremely well; he absolutely wiped the floor with the other side. Thorough and great with clients, and a real team player.” (Chambers UK)
- “Very thorough and eloquent and has a very client-friendly manner.” (Chambers UK)
- “Great knowledge in relation to complex cross-border, multi-party-funded litigation.” (Legal 500)
- Recommended for his specialist knowledge of costs, attention to detail and decisiveness. ’ (Legal 500)
- “Has a good academic and commercial blend in relation to costs issues.” (Legal 500)
- “A clear costs specialist, who is knowledgeable, commercial and prepared to go the extra mile.” (Legal 500)
- “Great with clients, he is a real team player.” (Chambers UK)
- “Provides excellent strategic and legal advice.” (Chambers UK)
- “…he absolutely wiped the floor with the other side.” (Chambers UK)
- “An excellent advocate who can come up with novel arguments.” (Chambers UK)
- Employment Law Bar Association
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Commercial Bar Association
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- London Court of International Arbitration
- British Insurance Law Association
- L.B. (Hons)
- Former Solicitor
- Deputy District Judge
- Barrister Assessor on High Court Cost Appeals
- ADR Group Accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator
- Costs ADR (CADR) panel of mediators
PJ’s annual pop up restaurant in aid of the BillableHour appeal for Save the Children has raised thousands of pounds and attracted widespread press coverage.
In his local community in South London PJ has been involved in youth work for well over 30 years. He has also had instrumental roles in the establishment of a community centre, a community flat and the redevelopment of a local park.