Acting as Arbitrator and Adjudicator and undertaking ENE’s in respect of numerous disputes e.g. involving the design of docks in the Middle East, substantial UK infrastructure disputes and coverage matters (including expert determination in accordance with insurance QC clauses). He has also been instructed as an expert on English insurance law in relation to arbitration and court proceedings.
Paul is recommended as a leading silk in Construction, Insurance and Reinsurance by Chambers UK, Chambers Global and Legal 500, in Property Damage and Professional Negligence – Technology & Construction by Chambers UK and Professional Negligence in Legal 500. He is also recommended in the Legal 500’s Arbitration Powerlist.
The directories state:
- A real expert in construction disputes with a deep understanding of the construction and insurance industries.” “He is methodical and commercial, and has great advocacy skills. Crucially, he is popular with team members at all levels for his inclusive approach.” “A fantastic strategist, hard-working and dedicated to the entire litigation team.” (Chambers UK)
- “He’s a leader in the field of contractor all-risk insurance.” “He is very hands-on and very good with clients.” “Excellent technical knowledge, with an ability to make complex matters understandable.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is extremely nice and effective in court.” “A very competent advocate who is very good technically in the law and whose knowledge of insurance law is excellent.” (Chambers UK)
- “A very good advocate.” (Chambers UK)
- “A details man who gives real authority and credibility to any opinion that he provides. He’s extremely good on quantum.” “Paul is known as a go-to for insurers.” (Chambers UK)
- “A good advocate.” “He offers in-depth knowledge and good practical experience. He has a good rapport with insurers and is very confident and personable.” (Chambers UK)
- “Incredibly helpful. He has a commercial mindset. Clients love him.” “Super commercial and very accessible.” (Chambers UK)
- “A real expert in construction disputes with a deep understanding of the industry. Able to articulate complex technical issues in simple and easily digestible terms.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is very robust and is ever the pragmatist.” (Chambers UK)
- “Enormous technical ability, commands the respect of every court.” (Legal 500)
- “He is very sharp and incredibly thorough.” (Legal 500)
- “Really impressive.” (Legal 500)
- “The go-to London authority for contentious construction insurance and all risks matters.” (Legal 500)
- “Technically fantastic and he is also incredibly approachable.” (Legal 500)
- ”A natural choice for big-ticket, international infrastructure disputes” (Chambers UK)
- Technology & Construction Bar Association
- Society of Construction Lawyers
- Commercial Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Insurance Assessor – Centre for Justice
- Dubai International Financial Court
- London Commercial Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
- London Court of International Arbitration
Paul Reed QC is the author of the leading text on the subject, Construction All Risks Insurance (Sweet & Maxwell), with contributions from the Construction Team. Building on the reputation of the original work, the second edition incorporates updates on the Insurance Act 2015 and the Enterprise Act 2016. The CAR book is recognised internationally as the leading practitioners’ text on the subject and has found use in many other jurisdictions, particularly in Pacific rim countries.
Paul Reed QC has also written Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance (Sweet & Maxwell), the leading text on liability insurance for professionals with contributions from the Construction Team.
Editorial Board and contributor for Insurance Broking Practice and the Law, edited by CMS Cameron McKenna, Informa looseleaf.
Contributor to ‘Cases that Changed our lives’ published by Lexis Nexis.
- LLB (Hons)
- Accredited Mediator and Adjudicator