He's a brilliant advocate, both persuasive and forceful. His legal advice is spot on and always has an eye on wider commercial considerations.
He is phenomenal. He has an inexhaustible appetite for work and an unbelievable eye for detail
Clear, incisive and extremely good on the law, he's very good at thinking on his feet and making the very best of what's in front of him.
The go-to London authority for contentious construction insurance and all risks matters
He has deep knowledge and will come up with practical solutions. His advocacy is just excellent
Paul is a leading commercial practitioner specialising in construction, professional liability, property damage and insurance. He is regularly instructed in substantial, technical and complex civil, commercial, construction, insurance and professional negligence disputes. As well as being a popular and experienced advocate in court and in arbitration, he is also highly regarded for adjudication and advisory work.
Paul has an extensive domestic and international practice, working regularly in the Middle East, the Caribbean and the Asia Pacific region as well as other areas. He is known as an approachable and client-focused silk and a team player who gives clear and consistent advice.
He is also an occasional post graduate tutor and lecturer in construction law and arbitration at Kings College and a highly experienced mediator, adjudicator and arbitrator. He has been shortlisted as Construction Silk of the Year in the Legal 500 Awards.
Energy & Renewables
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Insurance Funded Disputes
Banking & Finance
Civil Fraud & Asset Tracing
Paul is recommended as a leading silk in Construction, Insurance and Reinsurance by Chambers UK and the Legal 500, in Property Damage and Professional Negligence – Technology & Construction by Chambers UK and Professional Negligence in Legal 500. He is also recommended for Construction in Chambers Global and in the Legal 500’s Arbitration Powerlist. Who’s Who Legal recommend him for Construction and Professional Negligence.
The directories state:
- “He’s a brilliant advocate, both persuasive and forceful. His legal advice is spot on, and always has an eye on wider commercial considerations.” (Legal 500)
- “A real expert in construction disputes with a deep understanding of the construction and insurance industries.” (Chambers UK)
- “A fantastic strategist, hard-working and dedicated to the entire litigation team.” (Chambers Global/Chambers UK)
- “A details man who gives real authority and credibility to any opinion that he provides. He’s extremely good on quantum. Paul is known as a go-to for insurers.” (Chambers UK)
- “A real expert in construction disputes with a deep understanding of the industry. Able to articulate complex technical issues in simple and easily digestible terms.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is very robust and is ever the pragmatist.” (Chambers UK)
- “Widely regarded as the leading authority in relation to Construction All Risks Insurance, and he has a compendious knowledge of the subject. ” (Legal 500)
- “Enormous technical ability, commands the respect of every court.” (Legal 500)
- “He is very sharp and incredibly thorough.” (Legal 500)
- “Really impressive.” (Legal 500)
- “The go-to London authority for contentious construction insurance and all risks matters.” (Legal 500)
- “Technically fantastic and he is also incredibly approachable.” (Legal 500)
- ”A natural choice for big-ticket, international infrastructure disputes” (Chambers UK)
- “He has deep knowledge and will come up with practical solutions. His advocacy is just excellent.” (Chambers UK)
- “His technical knowledge is way ahead of anyone else in understanding the underlying issues and the insurance points.” (Chambers UK)
- Technology & Construction Bar Association
- Society of Construction Lawyers
- Commercial Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Insurance Assessor – Centre for Justice
- Dubai International Financial Court
- London Commercial Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
- London Court of International Arbitration
Paul Reed QC is the author of the leading text on the subject, Construction All Risks Insurance (Sweet & Maxwell), with contributions from the Construction Team. Building on the reputation of the original work, the second edition incorporates updates on the Insurance Act 2015 and the Enterprise Act 2016. The CAR book is recognised internationally as the leading practitioners’ text on the subject and has found use in many other jurisdictions, particularly in Pacific rim countries.
Paul Reed QC has also written Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance (Sweet & Maxwell), the leading text on liability insurance for professionals with contributions from the Construction Team.
Editorial Board and contributor for Insurance Broking Practice and the Law, edited by CMS Cameron McKenna, Informa looseleaf.
Contributor to ‘Cases that Changed our lives’ published by Lexis Nexis.
- LLB (Hons)
- Accredited Mediator and Adjudicator