An exceptional barrister; he grasps the tiny issues that turn a case
Calm, rational and creative, he puts both legal and lay teams at ease
Nigel's knowledge is top-drawer. His tactical insight is welcomed by clients and his advice is clear and well reasoned.
He’s very reflective in his advice, thorough and willing to debate points and consider other perspectives
Pragmatic, clever and personable
A joy to work with and adds real value
He is an impressive advocate, with excellent attention to detail, who is able to explain complex legal principles to lay clients.
A charming advocate with a great brain; clients really like him.
Nigel Jones QC is a highly experienced courtroom and advisory leader who specialises in complex and high value, international and domestic commercial litigation & arbitration, insurance, construction and professional negligence. He is acknowledged as a leading silk in these areas and is well-known for bringing a business-like and commercial approach to his work.
“Every once in a while you come across a barrister who does and has it all – insightful and detailed legal knowledge, amazing on his feet, fabulous client bedside manner, able to predict with accuracy what the future holds and he is also commercial.” (Legal 500)
Within his specialist areas he has significant experience of banking & finance and joint venture disputes, commercial fraud, private international & conflict, insurance coverage and insolvency, large infrastructure design and construction disputes and property damage. Alongside these he has considerable experience in niche areas such as franchising and commercial agency and sports law as well as the utilities sector (principally electricity).
He is also a specialist class/group action lawyer and understands the complex area of costs and the third party funding of costs in domestic and international dispute resolution.
These skills led to his appointment in 2014 as chair of the investment committee of the Harbour Funds (the UK’s largest litigation funder). Harbour is involved in investing over £400m in litigation and arbitration worldwide.
Nigel is an experienced mediation advocate and a regular lecturer who has presented lectures for the London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association, the Franco-British Lawyers Society, the British German Jurists Association, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators UAE and the Annual Arbitration Summit.
Banking & Finance
Civil Fraud & Asset Tracing
Companies, Joint Ventures & Partnerships
Employment & Executive Disputes
Private International Law
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Financial Professionals, Insolvency Professionals, Directors & Officers
- Arbitrator and mediator member of ADR Chambers (UK) Ltd
- Registered Legal Practitioner, Dubai International Financial Centre
- British Insurance Law Association
- Commercial Bar Association
- Franco-British Lawyers Society
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- London Commercial Law & Commercial Bar Association
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Technology & Construction Bar Association.
- Society of Construction Law
Nigel is recognised as a leading silk in his areas of specialist practice by Chambers UK and Legal 500 (Commercial Dispute Resolution, Company and Partnership, Construction, Fraud (Civil), Insurance and Professional Negligence and by Who’s Who in International Franchising and Professional Negligence. He is also recommended in the Legal 500’s Arbitration Powerlist and in Chambers Global for Commercial Dispute Resolution and Construction).
The following selection of quotes demonstrate the strength of his reputation for legal skills, advocacy, strategy and teamwork:
- ‘Every once in a while you come across a barrister who does and has it all – insightful and detailed legal knowledge, amazing on his feet, fabulous client bedside manner, able to predict with accuracy what the future holds and he is also commercial.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘The epitome of calm, cool and collective – his clarity of thought is second to none, as is his written work. He is generous to share credit with his juniors and instructing solicitors.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘Goes the extra mile to fight for clients.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘A delight to work with; nothing is ever too much trouble.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘Great all-round knowledge of the law, with the ability to apply different areas of law to a set of facts.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘His client care is second to none – he is exceptionally bright, hard working and really puts himself at the centre of the legal team in the best way possible. He is also commercial and exceptionally pragmatic. Academically he will answer the questions before most of the legal team have even thought to ask the question.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘A first-class lawyer and an attractive advocate.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘He has a great manner with lay client and solicitor alike.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘Produces very high-quality work and always goes the extra mile.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘He is clear, concise, pragmatic and robust.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘He is very pragmatic and excellent to work with.’ (Legal 500)
- “Brilliant at breaking down complex legal and factual issues and putting them in simple terms.” (Legal 500)
- “He is able to spot points not visible to others.” (Legal 500)
- “Fantastic with clients, brilliant at breaking down complex legal and factual issues and putting them in simple terms.” (Legal 500)
- “Very thorough with an incredible knowledge of insurance.” (Legal 500)
- ‘A superb advocate.’ (Legal 500)
- “Often the first name on the team sheet when it comes to multimillion-pound case” (Legal 500)
- “Indefatigable and user-friendly, with a first-class intellect.” (Legal 500)
- “He’s very reflective in his advice, thorough and willing to debate points and consider other perspectives.” (Chambers Global)
- “Nigel’s knowledge is top-drawer. His tactical insight is welcomed by clients and his advice is clear and well reasoned.” “Calm, rational and creative, he puts both legal and lay teams at ease, and always has the steadiest of hands on the tiller.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is a very good leader in terms of having a direction to the strategy. He and his team were completely on it and available 24/7.” “Pragmatic, clever and personable. A joy to work with and adds real value.” (Chambers UK)
- “He’s very reflective in his advice, thorough and willing to debate points and consider other perspectives.” (Chambers UK)
- ‘He’s tremendously user-friendly and has a wonderful ability to explain complicated legal issues in an understandable way while also being very commercial.” (Chambers UK)
- “An outstanding advocate.” “He clearly knows his stuff.” (Chambers UK)
- “Charming, polite and impressive, as well as effective in cross-examination.” (Chambers UK)
- “He’s exceptionally able, always pragmatic and measured, and an excellent team player.” (Chambers UK)
- “Technically brilliant and able to articulate a complex argument and make it understandable. Bright, articulate and client-savvy.” (Chambers UK)
- “He’s very clever and clients are drawn to him. He is also accessible at all hours and commercial.” (Chambers UK)
- “An outstanding commercial and legal strategist, who is charming but with a backbone of steel.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is a punchy advocate, who is great at cross-examination and strategic in his approach.” (Chambers UK)
- Most original sports analogy: “Pound for pound he is the Floyd Mayweather of the Bar. There is no one better in court” (Legal 500)
French – fluent