A very responsible individual who is prepared to go the extra mile. He is exceptionally user-friendly, very thorough and completely unflappable.
His knowledge about property law and landlord and tenant law is second to none. He is clearly a leader in his field. He has an eye for detail that is phenomenal and reassuring to have on your team. He will quickly see the point that everyone else missed and use it to his advantage
Monty is an excellent courtroom lawyer who is very quick on his feet
He is technically strong and very knowledgeable of all aspects of property litigation.
He is a very good trial advocate who takes a very practical approach.
He is approachable and deeply knowledgeable.
Monty is a very experienced barrister who has an established successful “Court based” property law practice. Recommended by both Chambers UK and Legal 500 as a leading property junior, his expertise covers the full ambit of commercial and residential landlord and tenant matters, service charges, social housing, enfranchisement, mortgages (regulated and un-regulated), easements, boundaries, adverse possession, party wall disputes, proprietary estoppel, co-ownership, title disputes, trusts for sale, and professional negligence claims and insolvency relating to these areas.
Monty has significant experience in dealing with “pub” cases (over 400), representing various PubCos and tenants in all manner of disputes surrounding such leases covering: forfeiture and relief, “buying out”, unlawful use, consents to assign or alter, dilapidations and 54 Act renewals.
In addition to being in Court, Monty is regularly involved in advising and appearing in cases before all of the various division of the FTT and the Upper Tribunal Lands Chamber. He has extensive experience as an advocate in mediations.
Monty’s practice is supported by a large and varied lay client base comprising companies, financial institutions, housing associations, trust funds, surveyors, and private individuals. More and more work is now coming by way of direct access. He has a solid track record of establishing long term client relationships and his high level of accessibility and responsiveness have made him many of his clients’ barrister of choice.
The extent of Monty’s repeat instructions show how much he is appreciated by his clients who value his strong, persuasive advocacy skills allied to his ability to apply commercial reality as well as resolve fraught and difficult situations and achieve a successful outcome either at trial, mediation or earlier settlement. Clients also appreciate his attention to the individual and his ability to develop a good working relationship, retain a commercial perspective over the dispute and often achieve a successful outcome at an early stage in the litigation.
Commercial Landlord & Tenant
Leasehold & Leasehold Management
Real Property & Mortgages
Monty is recommended for Property Litigation in Chambers UK and Legal 500 which states:
- “His knowledge about property law and landlord and tenant law is second to none. He is clearly a leader in his field. He has an eye for detail that is phenomenal and reassuring to have on your team. He will quickly see the point that everyone else missed and use it to his advantage.” (Legal 500)
- “Monty is an excellent all-round advocate who is very easy to work with.” “Totally reliable and a go-to guy.” “Technically strong and very knowledgeable.” (Chambers UK)
- “A very responsible individual who is prepared to go the extra mile. He is exceptionally user-friendly, very thorough and completely unflappable.” (Chambers UK)
- “Monty is an excellent courtroom lawyer who is very quick on his feet. You can call upon him at short notice and he will roll up his sleeves and get stuck in.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is approachable and deeply knowledgeable.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is a very good trial advocate who takes a very practical approach.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is always contactable and an advocate who has the ability to think on his feet. He brings many years’ experience to bear, giving sound commercial and common sense advice.” (Chambers UK)
- Property Bar Association