Michael is a senior and well respected Commercial and Insurance specialist with a particular focus on domestic and international construction and engineering disputes, professional negligence claims and property damage.
Michael is an ADR Group accredited mediator and he accepts instructions to mediate disputes in all of his areas of specialism.
As the author of the leading textbook on electronic disclosure, Michael is well placed to assist parties to large-scale litigation to reach agreement in relation to search methodology and the extent of disclosure.
- Society of Construction Law (UK and Gulf)
- Adjudication Society
- Kings College Construction Law Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Co-Author of Electronic Disclosure Law and Practice, Oxford University Press, 2017 (with Charles Raffin).
- Contributor to Paul Reed QC’s Construction All Risks Insurance, Sweet & Maxwell, published in March 2014, second Edition in 2017.
- Contributor to Paul Reed QC’s Construction Professional indemnity Insurance, published by Sweet and Maxwell in 2018.
- Contributor to Insurance Broking Practice and the Law, edited by CMS Cameron McKenna, Informa, looseleaf.
- “Reasonable Settlement Revisited”, Const L.J. (2011) Vol.27 No.4 p 259
- “Robinson Redux: be careful what you wish for”, Const L.J. (2011) Vol 27 No.2 p117 (with David Pliener)
- 2001 LLB
- 2002 LLM (Distinction)
- 2003 Bar Vocational Course
- 2011 Tecbar Adjudicator
- 2011 MSc (Distinction)
- 2011 Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Prize
- 2011 Arbitration Club Philip Ranner Prize
- 2011 MCIArb
- 2015 ADR Group Accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator
- 2015 SCMA Accredited Mediation Advocate
- Standard Life Assurance Ltd v Gleeds  EWHC 3419 (TCC);  BLR 125
- LGK v MPB  EWHC 90 (TCC);  BLR 222
- Broom v Paul Archer Design Ltd & Ors  EWHC 1266 (TCC)
- Knight v Goulandris  EWCA Civ 237;  1 WLR 3345;  3 All E.R. 505; 181 Con L.R. 258.
- Kersfield Developments (Bridge Road) Ltd v Bray & Slaughter Ltd  EWHC 15 (TCC); 170 Con. L.R. 40;  CILL 3929
- Khan v RDK International LLC & Ors  EWHC 3448 (Ch)
- CIP Properties (AIPT) Ltd v Galliford Try Infrastructure Ltd & Ors (No. 3 Amendments)  EWHC 1345 (TCC): 160 Con L.R. 73
- CIP Properties (AIPT) Ltd v Galliford Try Infrastructure Ltd & Ors (Costs Judgment No. 2)  EWHC 481 (TCC); 158 Con LR 229;  BLR 285;  2 Costs LR 363;  CILL 3641
- Rydon Maintenance Ltd v Affinity Sutton Housing Ltd  EWHC 1306 (TCC)
- CIP Properties (AIPT) Ltd v Galliford Try Infrastructure Ltd & Ors  EWHC 3546 (TCC);  1 All ER (Comm) 765; (2014) 156 Con L.R. 202;  6 Costs LR 1026
- R&S Security Services Ltd v Fire Defence Plc  EWHC 4222 (Ch);  BCLC 92;  BLR 500;  B.P.I.R. 1085
- Beck Interiors Ltd v Classic Decorative Finishes Ltd  EWHC 1956 (TCC)
- Beck Interiors Ltd v UK Flooring Contractors Ltd  EWHC 1808 (TCC);  BLR 417;  CILL 3209
- Archlane Ltd v Johnson Controls Ltd & Anor  EWHC B12 (TCC)
- Generation (UK) Ltd v Advance Scaffolding Services Ltd  EWHC 2646 (Ch)
- Chalcraft & Anor v John Tompkins Associates  EWHC 2079 QB (Merc)
- Generation (UK) Ltd v S L Dower  EWHC 3547 (Ch)
- Trad Hire & Sales Ltd v Holbrook Investments Ltd & Anor  EWHC 90 (Ch)
- Agilo Ltd v William Henry & Anor  EWHC 2717 (Ch);  BPIR 297
- Henry v Agilo Ltd  EWHC 2045 (Ch)
- Sarkis v Mirza  BPIR 146, CA
- AMCD Property Services Ltd v G (2004) All ER (D) 125, (Ch)
Michael has been recommended as a leading construction junior for many years in Chambers UK, Chambers Global, and Legal 500. He is also recommended for his professional negligence and insurance work by Legal 500. Michael is also recommended in Who’s Who Legal for both Construction and Professional Negligence.
- “A strong barrister and an excellent advocate who commands a wealth of expertise and knowledge. He is user-friendly and great with clients.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is extremely intelligent, hardworking and commercially astute. He is a great team player and always comes through for us under pressure.” (Legal 500)
- “He’s excellent – incredibly diligent and his research and drafting is, without exception, excellent.” (Chambers UK)
- “Extremely intelligent and comes through for clients.” (Legal 500)
- “Incredibly hardworking, his written work is second to none and he gets a complete grip on even the most complex of cases.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is an excellent tactician and a good courtroom fighter.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is extremely good technically and his written product is first class.” (Chambers UK)
- “A very good technical lawyer. He knows his subject matter, his written work is excellent and he’s great with clients.” “Exceptional. He is incredibly knowledgeable and able to perceive problems before they come up and deal with them.” (Chambers UK)
- “His written work is excellent, he’s great with clients and he’s very user-friendly.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is very thorough with an excellent knowledge of construction issues” (Legal 500)
- “He’s incredibly bright, tactically excellent, very user-friendly and approachable. His written work is first class, as is his advocacy.” Chambers UK
- “He delivers clear and pragmatic advice” (Legal 500)
- “He gives the correct advice without pulling any punches” (Legal 500)
- “He was really responsive and really, really good in helping with the technical side of the case.” Chambers UK
- “In addition to having a fantastic knowledge of the law, his commercial judgement is excellent and he is tactically brilliant.” Chambers UK
- “Knowledgeable yet commercial and pragmatic. Quick to respond to queries with sound strategy advice.” Chambers UK
- “Knows construction law, procedure and technicalities inside out – his drafting and written legal submissions are second to none.” Legal 500
- “Incredibly bright, but very user friendly and down to earth.” Legal 500
- “An excellent advocate, who provides robust and commercially astute advice.” Legal 500
- “First rate” Legal 500
- “Grasps issues quickly and is able to present advice to clients in a very clear, concise way.” Chambers Global
- “A current and rising star.” Legal 500
- “Incredibly diligent, hard-working, very good on the law.” Chambers UK
- “Technically excellent.” Legal 500
- “A bona fide construction specialist.” Legal 500
- “Commercial, user friendly and helpful.” Chambers UK
- “A very good technical lawyer. He knows his subject matter, his written work is excellent and he’s great with clients.” “Exceptional. He is incredibly knowledgeable and able to perceive problems before they come up and deal with them.” Chambers Global
- “A highly regarded junior who continues to be instructed on large and important cases.” Chambers Global