Very personable but tenacious and valued for his ability to think outside the box.
He has an inventive mind for challenging situations.
Engaging, convivial and commercial. He is a fantastic advocate for his clients
Mark is a leading intellectual property practitioner whose practice is diverse and includes numerous heavyweight contractual disputes within the court system and by way of arbitration, in which he acts for both governments and corporates.
“An esteemed trade mark law and passing-off expert with 25 years of experience of representing well-known brands”, Mark is recommended by Legal 500, for intellectual property work. They commend his “encyclopaedic knowledge of the law” and the fact that he has “an inventive mind for challenging situations”. He is also praised for “his client-facing skills and robust advocacy”.
Mark is known for his “refreshingly informal but highly commercial approach”. His legal expertise is enhanced by his time as sole in-house counsel at Dunlop Slazenger and Head of IP at The Body Shop International Plc. He is and has been standing counsel for a number of multi-national companies and SMEs such as Apple Inc, Alexander McQueen, Specsavers, Monsoon and Oxford Brookes University.
In addition to his legal practice, Mark is a mentor and advocacy trainer at Kings College London, a research associate in IP at St Edmunds College Cambridge, and in 2018 appointed Associate Professor in IP to Notre Dame University. He is also a Bencher of the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn. This year re-appointed to The Development Council of The Globe Theatre.
Mark is recommended for intellectual property work by Legal 500 and has been for many years.
- ‘He is insightful, experienced and thinks outside the box.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘Very personable but tenacious and valued for his ability to think outside the box.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘He has a first-rate mind and is incredibly sharp’ (Legal 500)
- ‘Mark Engelman is a talented and well-liked IP specialist who is known for his work at the commercial end of the field. He is tenacious and certainly not one to give up easily. Commentators single him out for praise on account of his ability to provide practical, realistic and value-orientated solutions’. (Chambers UK)
- “Engaging, convivial and commercial. He is a fantastic advocate for his clients and understands the deeper implications of the disputes he works on. When in full flow before a judge, he is inimitable and irrepressible” (Legal 500)
- Intellectual Property Bar Association
- International Trade Mark Association
Author of “Engelman’s Intellectual Property Update” – Bloomsbury Publishing
- BSc (Pharmacology)
- Dip Law
- MA (Cantab)
- Appointed Research Associate to St. Edmunds College, Cambridge on Theology and Intellectual Property Law
- Associate Professor to Notre Dame University