Committed and hard working. Very bright and knowledgeable about construction matters. Easy to work with.
Louis specialises in construction and commercial disputes, as well as property damage and Party Wall Act matters.
Louis regularly appears in the High Court, both in the Rolls Building and District Registries, and in the County Courts. Louis acts for a wide range of clients including, within the construction industry, employers, contractors, site-owners, developers, and construction professionals.
Louis has extensive experience of ADR, in particular in numerous construction adjudications, and also in arbitration and mediation.
He is also frequently instructed to advise and draft pleadings and pre-action correspondence in construction and commercial litigation, ranging from relatively modest residential matters to multi-million pound disputes.
Louis recently appeared for the Claimant in the High Court in MI Electrical v Elements  EWHC 1472 (TCC) and published a well-received article on the Uncertainties after Grove v S&T. Louis has contributed chapters to Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance, published by Sweet & Maxwell, and Risk and Negligence in Property Transactions, published by the Law Society.
Louis frequently acts in adjudications, acting for both referring and responding parties in a wide variety of cases, including disputes over interim payments, final accounts, defects claims, delay and disruption claims, and allegations of professional negligence.
Louis also regularly appears in the High Court on adjudication enforcements, and has experience dealing with arguments relating to jurisdictional and natural justice challenges, stays and set off. For example, he acted for the Claimant in MI Electrical v Elements  EWHC 1472 (TCC), a case considering the circumstances in which it was possible to set-off against an adjudicator’s decision.
As a construction specialist Louis has experience of a wide range of construction disputes, acting for both claimants and defendants, employers, contractors and professionals, on everything from relatively modest residential matters to multi-billion pound international arbitrations.
This experience includes acting and advising from an early pre-action stage all the way through to trial, as well as in mediation and other forms of ADR – and includes claims concerning professional liability, contractual disputes, negligence, nuisance, and other tortious liabilities and equitable remedies.
Louis is regularly instructed in construction adjudications, and adjudication enforcements in the High Court.
Louis also has significant experience advising on complex Construction All Risks and professional indemnity insurance coverage issues.
Recent examples include:
- Appearing on behalf of an architect accused of professional negligence.
- Appearing on behalf of the Claimant in MI Electrical v Elements  EWHC 1472 (TCC).
- Advising in relation to a claim against a contractor for asbestos contamination of a site.
- Drafting proceedings concerning a final account dispute for the refurbishment of a major department store.
- Representing the site-owner in a mediation concerning a development agreement.
- Advising in relation to damage and fortuity under a CAR policy in connection with a development of luxury apartments in London.
Louis acts for clients in property damage cases, including cases concerning the Party Wall Act.
Recent cases include a number of matters involving claims for property damage occurring during high winds, and a party wall award appeal concerning a dispute between a public house and a major supermarket.
Louis has experience acting in construction arbitrations, including a multi-billion pound arbitration concerning defects in an off-shore construction.
Professional Liability Construction Professionals
Louis is regularly instructed in cases concerning the liability of construction professionals, acting for professionals as architects and structural engineers, as well as bringing claims against them. Louis acts both in adjudications and in the Courts in relation to such matters.
Recent examples include:
- Appearing in the Central London County Court on behalf of an architect accused of professional negligence.
- Representing an architect in an adjudication concerning professional negligence and breach of contract.
- Advising and drafting correspondence in relation to a claim for professional negligence in the design of ceilings at a luxury development.
- Advising and drafting correspondence in a further claim for professional negligence in the design and specification of bathrooms in a luxury apartment block.
Louis has significant experience advising in relation to complex Construction All Risks insurance policies, including on the meaning of damage and defects, fortuity, notification, co-insurance, and the construction of a range of bespoke, standard and amended exclusion clauses, such as the DE and LEG clauses.
Louis has acted in both national and international disputes relating to such issues.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Louis has experience advising on professional indemnity insurance coverage and connected limitation issues.
Louis has experience acting and advising as junior counsel in high value commercial arbitrations.
Louis is regularly instructed both in his own right and as junior counsel to advise, draft pleadings and correspondence, and appear in court in relation to commercial disputes. These disputes range from relatively modest claims concerning unpaid fees, to complex high value litigation.
Recent examples include cases involving insurance coverage, agent’s commission, conversion of goods, professional negligence, misrepresentation, novation by conduct, collateral warranties and rectification.
Companies, Joint Ventures & Partnerships
Louis has experience acting on behalf of directors, in particular advising on the duties of directors and shareholders, and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Lincoln’s Inn
Contributor to Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance, and the upcoming publication Risk and Negligence in Property Transactions.
- BPTC (Very Competent) – City Law School
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction) – City Law School
- MA Modern Literary Theory (Distinction) – Goldsmiths College London
- BA Comparative Literature (First) – King’s College London
- Lord Denning Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Lord Haldane Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Equity & Trusts Research Prize Shortlist (City Law School)
- Dean’s Award (King’s College London)