A compelling and persuasive advocate; nothing is too much trouble for her.
Very personable, quick to provide commercial advice and a very good advocate
Persuasive and excellent at pulling the tribunal and opposition to her views
Laura is a very experienced and sought-after barrister who specialises in residential and commercial landlord and tenant and property litigation, as well as in social housing. She is recommended for real estate litigation and social housing in Chambers & Prs and Legal 500.
She is described as always looking for “solutions rather than problems” and “taking a pragmatic, commercially minded approach to matters”. It is also noted that she is “compelling and persuasive” in court and has a “steely determination to fight her client’s corner”. She is also known for being “incredibly impressive on the client care front”.
Laura’s landlord and tenant litigation practice is extensive including issues regarding notices, long leasehold, service charge and management disputes, dilapidations, 1954 Act claims, forfeiture, rent reviews and pub work. Her practice encompasses all aspects of real estate litigation including TOLATA claims, rights to light, rights of way, easements and covenants, trespass and nuisance, adverse possession and neighbour disputes.
Laura has particular expertise in dealing with complicated residential and commercial possession matters. She also has cross-over experience dealing with property related offences including HMO licensing and rent repayment orders in the Magistrates Court and FTT.
She is regarded as a leading junior for social housing work. She frequently acts for housing associations and local authorities in relation to all aspects of housing law from ASBIs, possessions, trials and applications, to bigger policy decisions and strategic advice. Her related property expertise sees her instructed in important cases where property law and social housing law overlap.
Laura is a first-rate accredited mediator and can be instructed in that role. Additionally, her experience and insight as a mediator means she is an excellent choice as counsel in mediation.
She is regularly instructed in the High Court, Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber), FTT Property Chamber and County Court and also appears in the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal.
Commercial Landlord & Tenant
Development & Planning
Leasehold & Leasehold Management
Real Property & Mortgages
Trusts of Land
Trusts including TOLATA
Court of Protection
Laura is recommended by Legal 500 for Property Litigation. She is also recommended by both Legal 500 and Chambers UK for Social Housing.
- “She has great customer care skills and looks for solutions rather than problems. A go-to in difficult cases.” (Chambers UK)
- “Very thorough and practical, she’s focused on how to settle cases where possible. Clients talk about her in a very passionate way.” (Chambers UK)
- “She elicits praise for her deft client-handling and cross-examination skills and makes regular appearances before the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.” (Chambers UK)
- “She goes down very well with the clients, knows her stuff and gets the results.” (Chambers UK)
- “Incredibly impressive on the client care front and very good at getting to the heart of a case. She takes a pragmatic, commercially minded approach to matters” (Chambers UK)
- “Persuasive and excellent at pulling the tribunal and opposition to her views.” (Legal 500)
- “An extremely hard worker absolutely loved by clients for her tenacity, common sense and ease to work with.2 (Legal 500)
- ‘”he always goes that little further to try and better research and prepare a case.” (Legal 500)
- “She has a no-fuss approach, is well on top of her brief and gives confidence to clients at court.” (Legal 500)
- “Helpful, efficient and accessible, she goes the extra mile.” (Legal 500)
- “A compelling and persuasive advocate; nothing is too much trouble for her.” (Legal 500)
- “She provides commercial advice and has a great rapport with clients, putting them at ease immediately.” (Legal 500)
- “She has a steely determination to fight her client’s corner.” Legal 500
- Chancery Bar Association
- Property Bar Association (Committee Member)
- Social Housing Law Association
- Association of Women Barristers
- Women in Property
- B Hons (University of Durham, St Mary’s College)
- Master of Jurisprudence (University of Durham, Ustinov College)
- Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent) (BPP, Leeds)
- ADR ODR Accredited Mediator