Kort specialises in domestic and international commercial disputes with particular expertise in construction and energy matters. He also works in the related areas of property and insolvency and has experience of aviation and shipping matters.
Kort is happy working both as sole counsel or as part of a team. His recent work includes:
- Successfully representing an Employer in an adjudication in which the Contractor was seeking payment of over £1.5 million in respect of a payment application and interim certificates. As part of the adjudication Kort appeared against counsel significantly beyond his call year and Kort’s client was not required to pay any sum to the Contractor.
- Instructed in an £80 million contractual dispute arising out of the liquidation of public sector contractor Carillion (led by Paul Reed QC).
- Instructed in a dispute worth in excess of AED 600 million concerning a hotel in the UAE (led by Helena White).
- Instructed to advise as junior counsel with Paul Reed QC in relation to issues with fire doors that emerged post-Grenfell.
He has experience with many major standard form contracts including the JCT, NEC and FIDIC forms. Kort brings particular expertise to disputes involving FIDIC contracts as he contributed several chapters to the book “Understanding the FIDIC Red and Yellow Books” which contains a clause-by-clause commentary of the updated 2017 FIDIC contracts.
In addition to Kort’s experience at Hardwicke, he also has the advantage of having spent time assisting Simon Hughes QC with a wide variety of cases under Indian, Qatari, UAE, Singaporean and English law including an international infrastructure dispute worth over a billion.
Kort’s practical approach to disputes is assisted by the fact that, prior to starting pupillage, he acquired commercial experience with the Royal Bank of Canada Capital Markets, Google and Cambridge Intelligence, a data-visualisation start-up.
Energy & Renewables
Professional Liability Construction Professionals
Banking & Finance
Leasehold & Leasehold Management
Real Property & Mortgages
MA Theology and Religious Studies, Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, (Double First)
MPhil Management, Judge Business School, Cambridge (Distinction, 1st in year)
Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP (Distinction, 1st in year)
Bar Professional Training Course, BPP (Very Competent)
- Scholar and Senior Scholar of Gonville and Caius College.
- Substantial Judge Business School bursary for previous undergraduate performance.
- Ranked first in year in MPhil Management in a class in which every member had a First Class degree or equivalent.
- Ranked first in year in GDL by 2.7%.
- Ranked first in year in Contract, Equity and Trusts, Constitutional and Administrative, European Union and Criminal law on the GDL. Ranked 3rd in year in Land law.
- Gray’s Inn Prince of Wales Scholarship for the BPTC.
- Captained Gray’s Inn in debate against the University of South Carolina.
- Awarded a Highly Commended in the SCL Hudson Essay Competition 2017 for my essay “Episode 2018: The Defective Premises Act Strikes Back”.
Kort contributed several chapters to Understanding the FIDIC Red and Yellow Books.
Kort recently judged a debate between prisoners and students at HMP Isis/Belmarsh as part of Gray’s Inn pro-bono programme ‘Vocalise’.