John specialises in commercial law and has experience of a wide variety of matters including contractual disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, commercial fraud, joint venture disputes, shareholder disputes, tracing claims, agency disputes, breach of confidence claims and financial services regulation. John’s clients include financial institutions, entrepreneurs, foreign investors, start-up ventures, utility providers, construction professionals, and a variety of publicly listed companies. John has appeared in levels of tribunal up to and including the Court of Appeal.
John also has a substantial property practice which encompasses commercial and residential landlord and tenant disputes, leasehold management matters, secured lender claims and various other matters heard in the First Tier Tribunal.
Recent and current instructions include:
- Holyoake v Candy  EWHC 3397 (Ch): John acted for the Claimants in their £132 million claim against the Candy Brothers & others arising out of a property development gone wrong (led by Roger Stewart QC of 4 New Square Chambers). The 9 week trial of this matter (which featured in The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of 2017) was heard in the Chancery Division and judgment was handed down in December 2017.
- R v J: John was instructed in the Queen’s Bench Division by a high-end fashion label to defend a £3m claim for statutory compensation under the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993 (led by David Lewis). This matter settled on favourable terms.
- B v S: John is currently instructed in Queen’s Bench Division proceedings on behalf of a start-up drinks company defending allegations that it has wrongfully terminated an exclusive distribution agreement.
- John acted successfully for an entrepreneur in seeking an order for pre-action disclosure against a publicly listed real estate services company. This matter received coverage in the Guardian, the Times and the Financial Times.
- M v B: John is currently instructed by a social housing landlord in a possession claim where the tenants are raising a number of Equality Act 2010, Human Rights Act 1998 and public law defences. The 5 day trial of this matter is listed for 2019.
John graduated from the University of Oxford with a Double First in Jurisprudence where he received numerous university and college prizes including the Gibbs Prize (Proxime Accessit) for the best university performance in Contract, Tort, Trusts and Land law.
Commercial Landlord & Tenant
Real Property & Mortgages
- Commercial Bar Association
- Chancery Bar Association
- The London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Contributing author to Construction All Risks Insurance (2nd Edition, 2016, Sweet & Maxwell)
- Contributing author to Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance (2nd Edition, 2017, Sweet & Maxwell)
- Contributing author to Insurance Broking Practice and the Law (CMS Cameron McKenna)
- BA (Jurisprudence) – Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford (Double First)
- BPTC – BPP Law School (Very Competent)
- Shelford Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Gibbs Prize, University of Oxford
- Lord Mansfield Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- College Scholarship, Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford
- Isaiah Berlin Prize, Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford
- The Citigroup Scholarship, University of Oxford