George is building a strong practice in line with Hardwicke’s specialisms, with a focus on commercial and construction disputes.
George has been instructed as junior counsel to the Grenfell Tower Inquiry since October 2018, working specifically on construction-related matters.
George is happy working both as sole counsel or as part of a team. He is developing a broad commercial and construction practice of his own and has experience of advising, pleading and appearing at hearings in the County Court and High Court. His recent work has included:
- Advising on banking and financial services related issues arising from a high-profile mortgage fraud concerning a stately home in North-East England.
- Advising and appearing in commercial disputes involving jurisdictional issues, including applications under CPR part 11 and the enforcement of foreign judgments.
- Advising (as sole counsel) the main contractor to a major infrastructure project on multi-million pound losses arising from the delay to the project.
- Representing the Claimant in a commercial two-day Multi-Track trial concerning services provided by a specialist IT consultant.
- Assisting (led by Michael Wheater) the successful Responding Party to multi-million pound Adjudication proceedings concerning the development of student accommodation.
- Advising in respect of the application of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 to contracts regarding a housebuilding programme in East Anglia.
- Acting successfully at trail for a Defendant company, arguing that the sums claimed pursuant to contract were penal and unenforceable.
- Regularly drafting pleadings in commercial matters including breach of contract, bailment, conversion, and agency.
- Acting successfully for a real estate company in an application to strike out a claim against it for breach of contract.
- Appearing regularly in bankruptcy and insolvency matters in the County Court and High Court.
Banking & Finance
Property & Construction Professionals
- BA, History, First Class (New College, Oxford)
- GDL, Commendation (City Law School)
- BPTC, Outstanding (City Law School)
Scholarships and other awards & prizes:
- Lord Bowen Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Lord Denning Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Buchanan Prize (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Academic Scholarship (City Law School)
- Monckton Chambers Prize for EU Law (City Law School)