George is building a strong practice in line with Hardwicke’s specialisms, with a focus on commercial and construction disputes. He is currently instructed as junior counsel to the Grenfell Tower Inquiry, working specifically on construction-related matters.
George is happy working both as sole counsel or as part of a team. He is developing a broad commercial and construction practice of his own and has experience of advising, pleading and appearing at hearings in the County Court and High Court. His recent work has included:
- Advising on banking and financial services related issues arising from a high-profile mortgage fraud concerning a stately home in North-East England.
- Advising and appearing in commercial disputes involving jurisdictional issues, including applications under CPR part 11 and the enforcement of foreign judgments.
- Advising (as sole counsel) the main contractor to a major infrastructure project on multi-million pound losses arising from the delay to the project.
- Representing the Claimant in a commercial two-day Multi-Track trial concerning services provided by a specialist IT consultant.
- Assisting (led by Michael Wheater) the successful Responding Party to multi-million pound Adjudication proceedings concerning the development of student accommodation.
- Advising in respect of the application of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 to contracts regarding a housebuilding programme in East Anglia.
- Acting successfully at trail for a Defendant company, arguing that the sums claimed pursuant to contract were penal and unenforceable.
- Regularly drafting pleadings in commercial matters including breach of contract, bailment, conversion, and agency.
- Acting successfully for a real estate company in an application to strike out a claim against it for breach of contract.
- Appearing regularly in bankruptcy and insolvency matters in the County Court and High Court.
During pupillage, George was supervised by David Pliener, Michael Wheater and David Lewis, with whom he was involved in substantial and complex disputes across the spectrum of Hardwicke’s commercial, insurance and construction specialisms.
George assisted his supervisors in the preparation and conduct of substantial trials in the High Court and received training in pleading and advising in the following areas of practice:
- General commercial, including jurisdictional challenges;
- Professional liability, particularly concerning solicitors, surveyors, construction and finance professionals;
- Company, Partnership and shareholders’ disputes;
- Property and Landlord & Tenant.
Banking & Finance
Property & Construction Professionals
- BA, History, First Class (New College, Oxford)
- GDL, Commendation (City Law School)
- BPTC, Outstanding (City Law School)
Scholarships and other awards & prizes:
- Lord Bowen Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Lord Denning Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Buchanan Prize (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Academic Scholarship (City Law School)
- Monckton Chambers Prize for EU Law (City Law School)