Colm is an accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator (since 2015) as well as an associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
He has been involved in numerous mediations concerning a wide range of civil work including property disputes, contractual disputes, clinical negligence, personal injury and professional liability (solicitors). As a facilitative mediator, Colm will not seek to impose his own view of the dispute on any party and will explicitly decline to express a view on merits of the underlying action unless expressly requested by all parties.
He has been listed as a leading individual in both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners for many years and is noted for his ability to handle apparently intractable and difficult disputes.
Colm has been instructed on countless occasions as an advocate in mediation and ADR. He brings a wide-ranging breadth and depth of knowledge of litigation and legal procedure to any mediation.
Colm is recommended by Chambers UK and Legal 500 for Personal Injury.
- “Calm but also very tenacious which is a fantastic combination when fighting tough cases.” (Legal 500)
- “He’s brilliant at talking to clients in a sensitive and straightforward way. He is reassuring, but also good at telling the truth.” (Chambers UK)
- “A natural eye for detail who is able to carry out astute assessment of risk.” (Legal 500)
- “He’s a very charming advocate who is good with both judges and witnesses” (Chambers UK)
- “Impressive in both his paperwork and advocacy” (Chambers UK)
- ‘Calm but also very tenacious which is a fantastic combination when fighting tough cases’ (Legal 500)
- ‘He has an unerring eye for a winner and is prepared to back his assessments to the hilt. He has a staggering appetite for work.’ (Legal 500)
- “His preparation for court hearings is meticulous and he is a highly persuasive advocate” (Chambers UK)
- “His speed in understanding and assimilating the issues in any case is always impressive” (Legal 500)
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
- London Common Law Bar Association
Contributor to Paul Reed QC’s Construction All Risks Insurance, Sweet & Maxwell, 2014.
- B.A. (Kent)
- Colm came to the Bar from employment at Smithkline Beecham (now Glaxo Smithkline)
Colm regularly provides webinars for various organisations including Practical Law and MBL. If you have access to Practical Law and/or LexisNexis, you will be able to watch his latest ones:
- Persuading the court: obtaining relief from sanctions (Practical Law)
- Persuading the court: resisting strike out and summary judgment applications (Practical Law)
- Persuading the court: setting aside a default judgment (Practical Law)
- Challenges in Brain Injury Claims’ looks at the legal position and provides some practical tips when taking these cases to trial (LexisNexis)
Social engagement and community activism are central to Colm’s work ethic. Since joining the Bar, he has always been involved in and dedicated a substantial amount of time each year to pro bono work.
He is an ambassador for Advocate, the Bar Council’s pro bono scheme, and regularly handles substantial matters on their behalf. He also works with leading politicians to promote community activism at government level.