He has an unerring eye for a winner and is prepared to back his assessments to the hilt. He has a staggering appetite for work.
He's a very charming advocate who is good with both judges and witnesses. Impressive in both his paperwork and advocacy
A highly persuasive advocate
Colm is a specialist barrister in the fields of personal injury and related insurance issues. He is also instructed in a variety of disputes outside these core fields including difficult interlocutory applications, having lectured extensively on the CPR and related costs issues.
Colm acts for both Claimants and Defendants in all aspects of injury and related disputes with a particular focus on lower limb injuries, subtle brain injury (especially those leading to an increased risk of dementia), complex loss of earnings claims, hand injuries and long-term loss claims as well as fatalities. He is an acknowledged specialist in claims concerning the application of the Defective Premises Act, which has taken him to the Court of Appeal this year.
He is sought after by insurers for cases where fraud and exaggeration are suspected and has had success at striking out a number of such claims. Colm lectures regularly on the CPR, litigation tactics, defending fraud claims, bringing complex loss claims and issues arising from disability and interpretation of the Ogden reduction factors. Colm is also an accredited ADR Group Mediator.
Colm regularly speaks at training events and seminars, and also gives webinars for Practical Law, LexisNexis and others (full details within Colm’s webinar tab).
Insurance Funded Disputes
Colm is recommended by Chambers UK and Legal 500 for Personal Injury.
- “He’s a very charming advocate who is good with both judges and witnesses” (Chambers UK)
- “Impressive in both his paperwork and advocacy” (Chambers UK)
- ‘He has an unerring eye for a winner and is prepared to back his assessments to the hilt. He has a staggering appetite for work.’ (Legal 500)
- “His preparation for court hearings is meticulous and he is a highly persuasive advocate” (Chambers UK)
- “His speed in understanding and assimilating the issues in any case is always impressive” (Legal 500)
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
- London Common Law Bar Association
Contributor to Paul Reed QC’s Construction All Risks Insurance, Sweet & Maxwell, 2014.
- B.A. (Kent)
- Colm came to the Bar from employment at Smithkline Beecham (now Glaxo Smithkline)
Colm regularly provides webinars for various organisations including Practical Law and MBL. If you have access to Practical Law and/or LexisNexis, you will be able to watch his latest ones:
- Persuading the court: obtaining relief from sanctions (Practical Law)
- Persuading the court: resisting strike out and summary judgment applications (Practical Law)
- Persuading the court: setting aside a default judgment (Practical Law)
- Challenges in Brain Injury Claims’ looks at the legal position and provides some practical tips when taking these cases to trial (LexisNexis)