Clare accepts instructions in all areas of Hardwicke’s work with a particular focus on Property, Social Housing, Employment and Commercial matters. Clare has experience beyond her call of handling disputes and appearing before the different levels of court as well as tribunals.
Clare is a keen squash player and amateur boxer, although most of her exercise these days involves taking her Irish Setter, Aoife, for walks. She can often be found in her kitchen, experimenting with odd (and often unsuccessful) cooking techniques, although her recent attempt at molecular cocktails was a complete success.
Commercial Landlord & Tenant
Clare accepts instructions in all Commercial Landlord & Tenant matters, with a particular focus on forfeiture proceedings and 54 Act renewals:
- Advising a small political party on their ability to resist possession and claim compensation under the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 where the landlord has served notice on redevelopment grounds.
- Acting for the landlord of a fish and chip shop in commercial forfeiture proceedings where the tenant had committed multiple breaches of the lease.
Leasehold & Leasehold Management
Clare regularly appears in hearings and trials in both the County Court and First Tier Tribunal (Residential Property) in relation to a wide variety of leasehold matters.
- Advising on the correct interpretation of a ‘user’ clause in a lease, where the landlord claimed the Property must be used as mixed residential/ commercial.
- Advising on the correct apportionment under a Lease for the calculation of service charges.
- Representing a freeholder at the FTT in response to numerous statutory challenges raised by the Leaseholder.
- Advising a management company as to the reasonableness of service and administration charges and the tactics for avoiding litigation.
Real Property & Mortgages
Clare accepts instructions in matters concerning adverse possession, trespass, boundaries, land development, easements and nuisance.
- Representing a property owner in the High Court where his neighbours were seeking a declaration as to the interpretation of restrictive covenants.
- Advising a leaseholder with relation to the freeholder’s derogation from an express grant of a right to park.
Clare acts in a range of commercial disputes and understands the need for a pragmatic and cost effective approach in approaching litigation.
- Advising a consumer with regards to his rights to return a luxury car that was not fit for purpose under the Consumer Credit Act.
- Representing a building contractor in a breach of contract claim brought by seasonal workers.
- Representing a credit card company in a claim under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
- Representing a department store in debt recovery proceedings.
Employment & Executive Disputes
Clare accepts instructions on the full range of employment disputes including unfair dismissal claims (including redundancy dismissals), discrimination claims, unpaid wages claims and TUPE, representing both employers and employees.
- Successfully representing an employer in a three day unfair redundancy dismissal claim where the employee alleged that the employer had failed to offer suitable alternative employment.
- Acting pro bono for a Calais based charity where a former volunteer made a claim for unfair dismissal.
- Drafting Grounds of Claim and Grounds of Resistance for both employees and employers.
- Negotiating settlement and redundancy agreements on behalf of employees.
- Advising a care home worker in a claim for unfair dismissal and unpaid wages.
- Advising an employee on a pregnancy related sex-discrimination claim.
- Property Bar Association
- Social Housing Law Association
- Bar Pro Bono Unit
- Chancery Bar Association
- BPTC (2011)
- GDL (2010)
- BA (Hons) in Philosophy (2009 – Durham University)
- Sir Thomas More Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)