Charles is an ADR-ODR accredited civil and commercial mediator.
He brings an awareness of parties’ perspective from his extensive experience as a QC representing parties in mediations, arising from complex, sensitive, high value and often multi-party civil law disputes and also as an expert witness on UK law for foreign courts. His international experience is also an asset in dealing with disputes being litigated in other jurisdictions and/or involving cross-border issues: these include the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Gibraltar, the USA, Brazil, India, Poland, France, Bulgaria and Belgium.
Charles’ style is forensic and collaborative. He makes sure that he fully understands the nuances of the dispute and builds a rapport with the parties to build the best foundation for a successful mediation. His skills as an analytical thinker with good commercial awareness, his part-time judicial experience across the full range of practice areas, as well as being well-known for his calmness in pressure situations, makes him adaptable to whatever challenges and novel issues may arise, to facilitate the parties in bridging their differences.
Charles is recommended in both Legal 500 and Chambers UK for Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence and in Legal 500 for the additional field of Travel Law (including jurisdictional issues).
- “He is extremely well respected and his advice carries real gravitas. He’s thorough and can provide very balanced advice.”
- “A great advocate who is always liked by clients.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is very knowledgeable, robust in his advice, proactive and responsive.” (Chambers UK)
- “He’s consistently hard-working, very thorough and has an exceptionally good grip on procedural matters.” (Chambers UK)
- “Very good on the law and very accomplished.” (Chambers UK)
- “Approachable and excellent both in writing and on his feet. Logical, methodical and analytical in his approach to complex issues.” (Chambers UK)
- “An exceptional barrister who achieves real results with his analytical but user-friendly approach. A quiet, incisive mind.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is an astute analytical thinker who is exceptional in managing clients’ expectations.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is highly regarded for cross-border injury cases.” (Legal 500)
- “An extremely strong, confident advocate, who is succinct and clear, and never knowingly fazed. Charles is able to consider issues from all angles and provide calm, clear advice.” (Legal 500)
- “Very good technical lawyer, but also calm and personable, works well as part of a team. Not afraid to stand by his views and fight to trial in appropriate cases.” (Legal 500)
- “Has great attention to detail and his measured approach is appreciated by clients.” (Legal 500)
- “He has laser-like focus, identifying the core issues remarkably swiftly and then providing robust strategies.” (Legal 500)
- “He has a fantastic eye for detail but combines it with a sensible commercial approach.” (Legal 500)
- “He is a superb barrister who has the rare skill of having his eye to the future of litigation; ably assists clients on how to manage a large loss portfolio.” (Legal 500)
- “He writes arguments accurately, coherently and simply, and in an accessible style.” (Legal 500)
- “He uses the law creatively but pragmatically to achieve the best possible results for his clients.” (Legal 500)
- “an encyclopedic knowledge of the law” (Chambers UK)
- Member of Personal Injury Bar Association Executive Committee & co-organiser of PIBA Continuing Education programme
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
Charles is on the Editorial Boards of Kemp & Kemp: the Quantum of Damages and also the Personal Injuries and Quantum Reports.
Appointments and Qualifications
- LLB Law with French (Leicester); & Dip E.J.F.: Diploma in French Law (Lyons)
- Deputy District Judge (2010-2018)
- Bar Disciplinary Tribunal Panel Member (2012-2018); Panel Chair (2018-)
- Deputy Queen’s Bench Master: High Court (2015-)
- Recorder of the Crown Court (2018-) and Civil Courts (2019-)
- Governing Bencher of Inner Temple
- British Insurance Law Association
- Charlie regularly acts pro bono, such as via the Free Representation Unit in the first appeal interpreting the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme: DP v Topmark Claims Management Ltd  UKUT 0106 (AAC)
- Advocacy and Ethics trainer for Inner Temple new practitioners; Governing Bencher.
- Speaker and group leader for Inner Temple Pathways to Law, Pegasus Access and Support Scheme (PASS) and Schools Days outreach programmes for Y12/13 and university students.
- Panellist for Inner Temple’s ‘In Focus Online’ events
- Volunteer for Inner Temple mock pupillage interview programme
- Pupil supervisor and Group Leader for pupil supervisor training
- Careers speaker for various school and student audiences
- Qualified British Swimming Referee, Starter and Judge
- Charity open water swimmer: 5 x cross-Solent swims between 2014-2020; Needles headland swims 2015 & 2016.