Charles is an ADR-ODR accredited civil and commercial mediator.
Charles’ style is forensic and collaborative. He makes sure that he fully understands the nuances of the dispute and builds a rapport with the parties to build the best foundation for a successful mediation. His skills as an analytical thinker with good commercial awareness, his part-time judicial experience across the full range of practice areas, as well as being well-known for his calmness in pressure situations, makes him adaptable to whatever challenges and novel issues may arise, to facilitate the parties in bridging their differences.
Charles is recommended in both Legal 500 and Chambers UK for Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence and in Legal 500 for the additional field of Travel Law (including jurisdictional issues).
- ‘He’s consistently hard-working, very thorough and has an exceptionally good grip on procedural matters.’
- ‘Very good on the law and very accomplished.’
- Approachable and excellent both in writing and on his feet. Logical, methodical and analytical in his approach to complex issues.
- An exceptional barrister who achieves real results with his analytical but user-friendly approach. A quiet, incisive mind.
- He is an astute analytical thinker who is exceptional in managing clients’ expectations.
- ‘Has great attention to detail and his measured approach is appreciated by clients.’
The Legal 500
- ‘He is a superb barrister who has the rare skill of having his eye to the future of litigation; ably assists clients on how to manage a large loss portfolio.’
The Legal 500
- He writes arguments accurately, coherently and simply, and in an accessible style.
The Legal 500
- He uses the law creatively but pragmatically to achieve the best possible results for his clients.
- Member of Personal Injury Bar Association Executive Committee & co-organiser of PIBA Continuing Education programme
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
Charles is on the Editorial Boards of Kemp & Kemp: the Quantum of Damages and also the Personal Injuries and Quantum Reports.
- LLB Law with French (Leicester); & Dip E.J.F.: Diploma in French Law (Lyons)
- Deputy District Judge (2010-2018)
- Bar Disciplinary Tribunal Panel Member (2012-2018); Panel Chair (2018-)
- Deputy Queen’s Bench Master: High Court (2015-)
- Recorder of the Crown Court (2018-) and Civil Courts (2019-)
- Advocacy and Ethics trainer for Inner Temple new practitioners
- Speaker and group leader for Inner Temple Pathways to Law, PASS and Schools Days programmes for Y12/13 and university students.
- Volunteer for Inner Temple mock pupillage interview programme
- Panel member at the Inner Temple Pegasus Access and Support Scheme
- Pupil supervisor and Group Leader for pupil supervisor training
- Careers speaker for various school and student audiences
- British Swimming Judge & Starter
- Charity open water swimmer: cross-Solent swims in 2014, 2017 & 2018; Needles headland swims 2015 & 2016.