He is a superb barrister who has the rare skill of having his eye to the future of litigation…Approachable and excellent both in writing and on his feet.
An exceptional barrister who achieves real results with his analytical but user-friendly approach
He is an astute analytical thinker who is exceptional in managing clients' expectations
He is extremely well respected and his advice carries real gravitas
A great advocate who is always liked by clients
He is very knowledgeable, robust in his advice, proactive and responsive
He has laser-like focus, identifying the core issues remarkably swiftly and then providing robust strategies
An extremely strong, confident advocate who is succinct and clear and never knowingly fazed
Logical, methodical and analytical in his approach to complex issues
For more than a dozen years, Charles has been recommended in the legal directories as a leading practitioner. He took silk in 2018 and is a specialist barrister in the fields of personal injury, clinical negligence, civil procedure and related insurance issues. He sits as a Recorder (Crime & Civil) and as a Deputy Queen’s Bench Master and is an appointed panel member (and Chair) of the Bar Disciplinary Tribunal.
Charles’ practice is in acting for Claimants and Defendants in complex and high value injury and clinical negligence claims as well as having a particular specialism in secondary victim litigation and fatal accident claims.
He also has a niche practice in procedural law, having led on appeals in the Court of Appeal and Privy Council arising out of procedural points in his specialist fields and civil litigation generally, both domestic claims and appeals from overseas jurisdictions.
He has advised major insurers in various high value cases being litigated in the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Gibraltar respectively. He has acted as an expert witness on English law in foreign jurisdictions.
He is sought after by insurers for cases where fraud and exaggeration are suspected in high value injury and clinical negligence claims.
Charles also advises insurers on coverage and policy interpretation issues arising in his specialist fields.
Inquests & Inquiries
Insurance Funded Disputes
Charles is recommended in both Legal 500 and Chambers UK for Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence and in Legal 500 for the additional field of Travel Law (including jurisdictional issues).
- “He is extremely well respected and his advice carries real gravitas. He’s thorough and can provide very balanced advice.” “A great advocate who is always liked by clients.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is very knowledgeable, robust in his advice, proactive and responsive.” (Chambers UK)
- “He’s consistently hard-working, very thorough and has an exceptionally good grip on procedural matters.” (Chambers UK)
- “Very good on the law and very accomplished.” (Chambers UK)
- “Approachable and excellent both in writing and on his feet. Logical, methodical and analytical in his approach to complex issues.” (Chambers UK)
- “An exceptional barrister who achieves real results with his analytical but user-friendly approach. A quiet, incisive mind.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is an astute analytical thinker who is exceptional in managing clients’ expectations.” (Chambers UK)
- “He is highly regarded for cross-border injury cases.” (Legal 500)
- “An extremely strong, confident advocate, who is succinct and clear, and never knowingly fazed. Charles is able to consider issues from all angles and provide calm, clear advice.” (Legal 500)
- “Very good technical lawyer, but also calm and personable, works well as part of a team. Not afraid to stand by his views and fight to trial in appropriate cases.” (Legal 500)
- “Has great attention to detail and his measured approach is appreciated by clients.” (Legal 500)
- “He has laser-like focus, identifying the core issues remarkably swiftly and then providing robust strategies.” (Legal 500)
- “He has a fantastic eye for detail but combines it with a sensible commercial approach.” (Legal 500)
- “He is a superb barrister who has the rare skill of having his eye to the future of litigation; ably assists clients on how to manage a large loss portfolio.” (Legal 500)
- “He writes arguments accurately, coherently and simply, and in an accessible style.” (Legal 500)
- “He uses the law creatively but pragmatically to achieve the best possible results for his clients.” (Legal 500)
- Member of Personal Injury Bar Association Executive Committee & co-organiser of PIBA Continuing Education programme
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
Charles is on the Editorial Boards of Kemp & Kemp: the Quantum of Damages and also the Personal Injuries and Quantum Reports.
Appointments and Qualifications
- LLB Law with French (Leicester); & Dip E.J.F.: Diploma in French Law (Lyons)
- Deputy District Judge (2010-2018)
- Bar Disciplinary Tribunal Panel Member (2012-2018); Panel Chair (2018-)
- Deputy Queen’s Bench Master: High Court (2015-)
- Recorder of the Crown Court (2018-) and Civil Courts (2019-)
- Governing Bencher of Inner Temple
- Charlie regularly acts pro bono, such as via the Free Representation Unit in the first appeal interpreting the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme: DP v Topmark Claims Management Ltd  UKUT 0106 (AAC)
- Advocacy and Ethics trainer for Inner Temple new practitioners; Governing Bencher.
- Speaker and group leader for Inner Temple Pathways to Law, Pegasus Access and Support Scheme (PASS) and Schools Days outreach programmes for Y12/13 and university students.
- Volunteer for Inner Temple mock pupillage interview programme
- Pupil supervisor and Group Leader for pupil supervisor training
- Careers speaker for various school and student audiences
- Qualified British Swimming Referee, Starter and Judge
- Charity open water swimmer: 5 x cross-Solent swims between 2014-2020; Needles headland swims 2015 & 2016.