A very technical lawyer with a commercial approach.
She is brilliant and extremely experienced in real estate. Always incisive, practical and positive in her advice.
A key focus of Andy’s work is commercial landlord and tenant, from the interpretation of break clauses to terminal dilapidations claims. She has a strong practice in lease renewals under the 1954 Act. She has recently acted on injunctions for Stagecoach, Cancer Research and TfL involving commercial premises, and for an unincorporated members’ club in a battle with their long-standing ‘landlord’ who sought to evict them.
She has a particular interest in the Electronic Communications Code and routinely acts for landowners seeking to remove mobile phone masts and other apparatus from their land.
Her work on property damage includes the first trial in England & Wales on the liability for property damage from Japanese knotweed, advising on a sinkhole and for loss sustained as a result of a landslip. She also has experience of some more specialist areas of property law, for example, mobile homes, canal boats and a nudist colony.
Andy is noted for her excellent forensic analysis skills and incisive witness handling. One expert building surveyor compared the experience to being “cross-examined by a smiling Doberman”.
Andy came to the Bar after a successful career in industry, latterly as the director of an international manufacturing company. This experience, allied with her first degree in business and finance, means she provides clients with commercially-focused advice.
Outside of work she enjoys skiing, scuba diving and travel (which is lucky as she is married to an airline pilot).
- Panton & Ors v Brophy & Ors  EWHC 1534 (Ch) – obtained a vesting order for new trustees of the Thames Tradesmen Rowing Club
- London Borough of Camden v Morath & Ors  UKUT 0193 (LC) – instructed via Advocate (BPBU) on behalf of a leaseholder seeking to resist a variation of her lease under s.35 of LTA 1987.
- Evolution (Shinfield) LLP & Ors v BT PLC  UKUT 0127 (LC) – first trial of a claim to determine an agreement under Part 6 of the New Code (led by Brie Stevens-Hoare QC)
- Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council v Punj Lloyd Ltd  EWHC 3776 (Admin) – successful respondent to an appeal by way of case stated in respect of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 where the Council relied on a landlord’s specifically enforceable obligation against a guarantor to take an overriding lease to claim £1.2m in rates.
- Red & White Services Ltd v Phil Anslow Ltd  EWHC 1699 (Ch) – endorsement of a costs cap for future incurred costs.
- Farrar v Leongreen Ltd  EWCA Civ 2211 – on whether a claim for mesne profits and a claim for possession against a trespasser are based on the same cause of action (‘claims in trespass’).
- Spielplatz Ltd v Pearson  EWCA Civ 804 – consideration of annexation of structures following the House of Lords decision in Elitestone v Morris  1 WLR 687.
- Thandi v Sands  EWHC 2378 (Ch) – dispute over beneficial interest in portfolio of 16 properties following bankruptcy.
- Swan Housing Association Ltd v Gill  EWHC 3129 (QB)- on the county court’s jurisdiction in cases involving adverse possession in light of the Land Registration Act 2002.
- Aksu v LB Enfield  EWCA Civ 60 – renewal tenancy opposed on ground (b).
- Murphy v Wyatt  EWCA Civ 408 – whether the Mobile Homes Act 1983 provided security of tenure retrospectively to a tenancy which did not preclude the siting of a caravan on a 1.7 acre site.
- Chelsea Building Society v Nash  EWCA Civ 1247 – effect of a lender’s settlement with one debtor on their joint liability.
Commercial Landlord & Tenant
Development & Planning
Leasehold & Leasehold Management
Real Property & Mortgages
Trusts of Land
Electronic Communications Code
Banking & Finance
Andy Creer is recommended for Real Estate Litigation in Chambers UK and the Legal 500.
- “Tenacious attention to detail and really good on her feet.” “Incredibly thorough and technical.” “Fantastic expertise in property law.” (Chambers UK)
- “She is brilliant and extremely experienced in real estate. Always incisive, practical and positive in her advice.” (Chambers UK)
- ‘She has fantastic attention to detail and is very technically able.’ (Legal 500)
- ‘A very technical lawyer with a commercial approach.’ (Legal 500)
Contributor to “Risk & Negligence in Property Transactions” Law Society Legal Handbooks  (edited by John de Waal QC).
Recent seminars Andy has given include:
- Defences to Mortgage Transactions
- Vacant Possession in Practice
- Wayleaves/Telecoms: Property Rights for the Digital Economy
- The Emergence of Proximate Nuisance: Japanese Knotweed
- White Paper Conference – Break Clauses: Meeting the Preconditions
- Liability in Dilapidations
- Fixtures at the End of Term
- From Floods & Fires to Sinkholes: the Current State of the Law in Property Damage
- Tactics in Lease Renewals
- Property Issues in Site Development